About Cross Dressing, Sex, and Gender
- In any society, the perception of femininity and masculinity is not necessarily dependent on female or male genitalia.
- Cross dressing, gender impersonation, and long-term masquerades of the opposite sex are common place throughout history.
- Cross Dressing, Sex, and Gender not only surveys cross dressing and gender impersonation throughout history and in a variety of cultures but also examines the medical, biological, psychological, and sociological findings that have been presented in the modern scientific literature.
- Every reason for cross-dressing is included:
- Heterosexual sex-scripts;
- Stage impersonation of the other sex;
- Lesbians who wanted to ‘marry’ other women;
- Women who wanted the advantages of living as men;
- Men who wanted the advantages of living as women;
- Drag queen prostitutes.
- Once the various reasons for dressing in the clothes of the other sex are better understood and distinguished from one another, greater clarity will emerge.
- It’s a wonderful survey, both from a historical standpoint and from a cross-cultural standpoint.
- There is also a critical, but sensible, review of the various biological, psychological and sociological explanations of gender variance.
- It’s a book that everyone should read, Well written and with lots of historical facts and current ones as well.